Septuagenarian housewife, Momoko (TANAKA Yuko), has led a good life, having fled from the Japanese countryside to thriving Tokyo in the year of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, and having married the love of her life with whom she raised two children. But after her plans of spending her golden years with her husband are dashed due to his sudden death, Momoko is forced to live alone. Mysterious figures and voices appear before her and liven up Momoko’s life, sometimes with song and dance.
Directing this adaptation of the Akutagawa Prize-winning novel, won by the author WAKATAKE Chisako at the age of 63, OKITA Shuichi (a previous guest speaker of this programme) explores what loneliness means in modern life, particularly for older people. In a thoroughly fun and charming style, he portrays the immeasurable positivity of a woman determined to live on and enjoy her old age.
Below you will find screening details at various cinemas nationwide.
More screenings will be added as they are confirmed so keep checking back!
- Phoenix Leicester Saturday 5 February
- Eden Court Sunday 6 February
- Depot Wednesday 9 February, 13:30
- ICA Saturday 12 February, 18:00
- Cambridge Film Trust Sunday 20 February
- HOME Monday 28 February
- Exeter Phoenix Wednesday 9 March, 19:00
- Firstsite Saturday 19 March, 13:00
- Hyde Park Picture House Sunday 27 March, 18:00